These taste pretty great. They’re an adaption of Smitten Kitchen’s recipe.
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 140 grams unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 250 grams sugar
- 65 grams plain white flour
- 65 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- (optional) icing sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 160c/320f.
- Line tray with baking paper.
- Pan of simmering water on stove top.
- Combine butter, sugar, salt, cocoa in heatproof bowl.
- Put bowl in pan, mixing until butter is melted and everything is combined and hot enough to burn you.
- Take off heat and allow to become only warm.
- Stir in vanilla with wooden spoon.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously.
- When mixture looks thick, shiny and well blended, mix in flour for at least 40 strokes.
- Spread into lined pan.
- Put in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick emerges moist with batter.
- Remove from heat, put in freezer to cool rapidly, and then onto a cooking rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.
- Big yes on the weighted ingredients. In my experience you minimise variance in baking if you weigh ingredients.