These are a fantastic lemony dessert. Will disappear quickly if you bring them in to work.
Adapation from Patty Schenck’s recipe, using MommyFromSeattle’s comment on using more lemon.
Time: 1 hour
Make sure you have an 8x11 baking dish.
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup of lemon juice (3-4 lemons for me)
- Zest of two lemons
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup, 1 tablespoon cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350f/175c
- Combined the ingredients in a blender/mixer until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake until firm and golden. See notes on how long.
- Take out when baked.
- Whisk together the sugar and flour.
- Whisk in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest.
By Our Powers Combined
- Pour the lemon curd over the baked crust.
- Bank for an additional 20-25 minutes in the oven. The bars will firm up as they cool.
- While they’re cooling on the bench, sprinkle some sugar on the top. The heat will cause the sugar to melt slightly, making for a nice crust on top.
- Once they’ve cooked appropriately, cut them into squares.
- The original recipe said to bake the base for 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden. It took me 45 minutes to reach that point, but I suspect that is because I used a glass baking dish rather than a metal one.
- The original recipe also made way, way to much crust for my liking, so I removed some of it. Don’t be afraid to do so if you feel the same way, you can just bake some shortbread.